Schools Case Studies
Calthorpe Specialist Sports College
Date Added: Mon, 09 Feb 2009
Calthorpe School Indoor Rowing
Impact on the Specialism
Indoor rowing has had a major impact on our Sports College Specialism, as a result we have:
- Increased physical activity and improved healthy lifestyles
- Enhanced inter and intra school competition
Physical Activity and Healthy lifestyles
- The indoor rowing machines have been used as part of the schools weight loss programme to increase and monitor physical activity
- Adults from the local community also use the indoor rowers as part of the healthy lifestyles programme we run during our outreach programme with the wider community
- Through indoor rowing we have been able to offer children with a whole range of Special Education Needs inter and intra school competition.
- Within school children have competed against their peers and times and distances have then been submitted on the Concept 2 website and leagues.
- To further enhance inter-school competition we organised and established the Birmingham SEN Indoor Rowing competition. This has been hugely successful across several SEN schools allowing pupils to compete at their own level with their peers.